Assuming Romney wins the nomination (and I’m still not convinced he will) a Washington Whispers survey asked top Republican strategists to vote on who they think Romney should consider as potential running mates if he is elected.
Below is the list of most-favored Romney running mates from the strategists Whispers polled.
- First place: Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, former Secretary of State Condi Rice, South Dakota Sen. John Thune.
- Second: New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie
- Third: Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.
- Fourth: Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.
- Fifth: Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell.
It would really shake up the political dynamics of South Dakota politics if Senator Thune was chosen as Vice President on a winning campaign. However, I’m not sure South Dakotans are eager to give him up so easily. Who would Daugaard ask to fill the vacancy?